Another beautiful day.

Loutraki beach
Loutraki beach


The last day of September, and what a beautiful day, it is too.
The previous week, Autumn had hit Greece with a bang, totally unexpected.
Black clouds gathered, the wind howled and we had rain, temperatures dropped from around thirty degrees centigrade to the low twenties.

We scuttled indoors when evening fell, as the wind made it too uncomfortable, to sit in the garden.
As I closed all the windows, the first time since late Spring, I was overcome by a great sadness.
Is this it then, the end of  summer?
The end of lazy, boozy evenings with friends and family in the garden?
Are we going to have to be indoors from now on?
It's too early!
This usually happens around the beginning of November.

I should have known better.
It was just the odd week of bad weather.

Today dawned sunny and calm, still a bit chilly early morning, but things soon warmed up.
I grabbed my beach gear and headed seawards.

The route I take to the beach, down a little dirt track, is a lovely walk.



The track to the beach
The track to the beach

I only have to cross the road from our house and I'm on the track.
It's rare that I ever meet anyone, the odd car sometimes comes along, causing me to jump into the undergrowth at the edge.

 I worry about snakes when this happens, quite a few have slithered across my path down here, especially in the spring.

I stroll along taking in the scenery, a few olive trees here and there, and tall cypress trees standing to attention in the distance, all against a backdrop of the Gerania mountains.



Gerania mountains
Gerania mountains


Olive trees and the Gerania mountains.



Cypress trees in the distance
Cypress trees in the distance


Houses are few and far between.
 One I always admire, it is well kept, always spic and span, painted sparkling white with bright blue shutters.



Greek house Loutraki
Greek house Loutraki

I do love this house but I'm not sure if it it isn't out of character with its surroundings.
I think, that maybe it is more suited, to one of the Greek Islands.
Once I reach the end of the track the sea awaits me.
No matter how often I see the sea, which is every day, that first glimpse of it takes my breath away.
My heart soars!


The first glimpse of the sea
The first glimpse of the sea


Loutraki beach
Loutraki beach


I had the place to myself, just as I like it.
People ask me if I become bored, do I take a book with me?
No to both questions.
I sit and look at the sea, what's in there? what's out there?
Do we really know?
It is so peaceful and calming.
I just sit and think and reflect on life.

Feeling the sun on your face, the breeze on your skin, the silkiness of the water once you are in the sea, for me it's heaven!



A peace of heaven
A peace of heaven



On the very end of the tiny outcrop of land, just visible in the centre of the picture, is the Heraion (Melagavi) lighthouse.
At night, from my bedroom balcony, I can see the light blinking, keeping sailors safe.




Heraion, Melagavi lighthouse
Heraion, Melagavi lighthouse



The Gerania mountains, are to my right, as I sit on the beach.
The tall hill ,of Ancient Korinth, is to my left.




The large hill in the middle is Ancient Korinth.
The large hill in the middle is Ancient Korinth.


At the top of the hill ,are the remains of an ancient fortress, at the foot are many ancient ruins, and a splendid museum.


Read all about Ancient Korinth at the above link.


I hear the church bells of Saint Marina in Loutraki ringing.
That means that it's one o clock, they only ring at one o clock, what the significance of this is, I don't know.
Anyway, time for one last dip in the sea ,then dry off, head for home and lunch.


Home in sight
Home in sight

Back to where I started from, our house in sight.


My shorts seemed to be getting rather snug, so yesterday, I weighed myself, first time for months!

Austerity measures are in order, hence the light lunch ,of salad and scrambled eggs.


A light lunch
A light lunch

  Sea fever
John Masefield

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking,
I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.
I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.




2 comments:

  1. beautiful description Sue, felt relaxed just reading it, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today was even better than yesterday Christine!

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog, I am always absolutely delighted to hear your thoughts, ideas or suggestions.
They make all my efforts worthwhile,.

Please do check back, after leaving a comment, as I make every effort to answer all your remarks promptly.
Thanks,
Susan.x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...