23 September 2014

Greek art.Modern.Tsarouchis, Fassianos, Mytaras et al ...art on a shoestring .

 
 
Yiannis Tsarouchis
Yiannis Tsarouchis
Greece has some of the most talented modern artists.
The ones I admire very much are, Tsarouchis, Fassianos and Mytaras.
Yiannis Tsarouchis being my favourite, he died in 1989 .
 
 
Read about him above.
 
The ones I like best are his sailor series.



Tsarouchis
 Tsarouchis


Tsarouchis
 Tsarouchis


Tsarouchis
 Tsarouchis
 
3 Yiannis Tsarouchis paintings of sailors.
 
These can not be found anywhere for love nor money, not that I could afford one if I did!
Posters do just fine!
 
About twenty five years ago My Greek God (MGG) bought these two Tsarouchis lithographs.
My appetite for Greek art was whetted!


Tsarouchis
 Tsarouchis


Tsarouchis
 Tsarouchis


Tsarouchis lithographs.
Tsarouchis lithographs.
 
I apologise for my appalling pictures but I don't pretend to know the first thing about photography!
 
The next two we bought were Dimosthenis Kokkinidis Lithographs.
 


Dimosthenis Kokkinidis Lithographs
Dimosthenis Kokkinidis Lithographs
 
 
 
Read about him at the link above, in fact this above link is absolutely fantastic for checking out all Greek painters and their work.
 
Next came the more well known Fassianos and Mytaras lithographs.



Dimitris Mytaras
Dimitris Mytaras



Mytaras
 Mytaras
This is a book cover I had framed, illustrated by Mytaras.
 
 
Dimitris Mytaras
Dimitris Mytaras
Dimitris Mytaras
 
 
After reading books and articles about Alekos Fassianos I became very interested in his vintage exhibition posters.
Slowly, one by one I started to come across them and my collection began.
Fassianos spent his early painting years in Paris, his first exhibitions were there, consequently most of my posters were found in France.
 
I have the first poster for his first exhibition.
He made it himself.



Alekos Fassianos
Alekos Fassianos


Alekos Fassianos
Alekos Fassianos
 
Here is the poster and what he says about it.
I can't show you my actual  poster as I have given it to my Daughter, she has it in Athens.This is from the book.
 
My collecting of exhibition posters and lithographs became a passion, I had so many and no where to put them!
 
This was another case of all or nothing.
It's a good job that I ran out of walls...who knows where it would have lead!
 
 
Some I gave away, some I sold on Ebay, where most of them came from in the first place.
 
Many are now hanging on my children's walls.
 
Book about Fassianos posters
Book about Fassianos posters


Book about Fassianos posters
Book about Fassianos posters


Book about Fassianos posters
Book about Fassianos posters
A book showing all Fassianos' vintage exhibition posters.
My goal is to some day have collected the lot!
I'll think about walls when the time comes!
 
Here are some I have, there are more but as I said...my children have them.
 
Fasssianos poster
Fasssianos poster
 
Fassianos posters
Fassianos posters
 
 
Fassianos poster
Fassianos poster
 


Fassianos lithograph
Fassianos lithograph



Fassianos lithographs
Fassianos lithographs
 


book illustrated by Fassianos
book illustrated by Fassianos
 
 The above was a cover of a book illustrated by Fassianos.
 


book illustrated by Fassianos
book illustrated by Fassianos
 
The above was also the cover of a book illustrated by Fassianos.
 
 
Fassianos poster
Fassianos poster
 
This was a poster advertising a play.
 
 
 
 
Fassianos poster
Fassianos poster
Alekos Fassianos
 
 
Read about Alekos Fassianos at the above link.
 
I also have a collection of thirteen small prints that Fassianos made for the 2004 Athens Olympics.
 
A few I have had framed.



Fassianos signed prints
Fassianos signed prints
 
 
My last piece of Greek art is the head of Alexander The Great, done by
Efthimios Varlamis.
 



Efthimios Varlamis.
Efthimios Varlamis.
 
 
It is one of A hundred and fifty different paintings of Alexander The Great that he did for his project...Alexander 2000
 
I do love this one.
 
 
Read about Varlamis and his Alexander 2000 project above.
 
 
I will continue my hunt for more posters.
Collecting vintage Exhibition posters is a cheap way of having some nice art work...and different too!
Can I hear MGG saying 'oh no!'
He's the one who hangs it all for me, and a very good job he does as well.
 
Filakia (kisses)
 
 


5 comments:

  1. i'm enjoying your blog so much. i was in lamia and all over greece from sept 2012 to nov 2013 and miss it very much. your blog is wonderful. ~laura xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura,
      Thanks for reading the blog, and for your kind words.I hope that you will be back in Greece again someday, it is a beautiful country.
      Susan.x

      Delete
  2. Greek art is a lot different from the danish one I've seen at this website

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Greeker!, Alekos Fassianos brought me here. I was in search of prints of his art trying to bring a part of Home into my new one bedroom flat. An olive tree ordered from Amazon.co.uk and a fig tree-scented candle have already found their place. I very rarely comment in public but this time something inside urged me to write that I am really honoured by your posts and that I was deeply moved when I saw a photo of the Parthenon bathed in the Aegean morning light. A big heartfelt thank you for all your work in this blog and I must say that I should come back. Also, I must say that Yes you are G r e e k e r Than The Greeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful comment, thank you, the honour is all mine, yes...I feel Greeker!!!
    Look on ebay for exhibition posters from Greek painters, especially ebay France, most of them spent time there, I've had some great "finds" on there!
    Susan.
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog, I am always absolutely delighted to hear your thoughts, ideas or suggestions.
They make all my efforts worthwhile,.

Please do check back, after leaving a comment, as I make every effort to answer all your remarks promptly.
Thanks,
Susan.x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...