My Big Fat Greek Family Christmas, and it's all about Melina!

Cheery Christmas log fire
Cheery Christmas log fire


Families have their Christmas customs and traditions, last year we started a new one.

We have a new addition to the family, sweet Melina, our first Grandchild.

Now, Christmas is all about Melina, 

Last year, she helped me trim the Christmas tree, well, she was only one and a half years old, I rectified things after she had gone home!

We had such a good time though, watching the wonder on her little face, laughing at her excitement, when we switched on the tree lights, her sheer joy.



With Melina, last year
With Melina, last year


Below: Reading Christmas stories with Grandpa, last year.



Christmas stories
Christmas stories


So this year, I decided to make it an official part of our family Christmas:

Decorating the tree with Melina.

Last year, they had just happened to drop by, while I was putting up the tree, this year it was planned.

They would be arriving early evening, we would have a:

 "Trimming the Christmas tree supper party"

I was up early, preparing PASTITSIO, which everyone loves, it is something that can be made beforehand,
 which is  a must, as I knew that with Melina, there would be no time to be cooking in the kitchen!



Pastitsio
Pastitsio


My Daughter-in-law, Sandra, said she would make her famous ravani:
 Greek semolina cake.

A lovely, moist cake, soaked in orange syrup, nice on its own, but, absolutely delicious with ice cream and black cherry sauce!




Sandra's ravani
Sandra's ravani



Once all the Christmas paraphernalia had been brought up from the basement, by MGG (My Greek God), and the pastitsio was ready to be served,
we opened a bottle of wine, to fortify ourselves, before they arrived.




Christmas cheer
Christmas cheer


MGG  lit the fire, now it really was beginning to feel a bit like Christmas!



MGG and a log fire
MGG and a log fire


My son, had warned me, that if I started the tree from scratch, it would take us until midnight!
He knew, from his experience, of trimming their tree  with Melina.

She had to examine each bauble carefully, and then choose the place for it to hang.

I had told Melina that I wouldn't start without her, so was loathe to do so, after all, aren't we supposed to set an example to children?

 I didn't want to break my word.

 The thought of six hours trimming the tree though, soon changed my mind!

I did most of it, leaving the things that I thought Melina would like best, for her to put on the tree.

I need not have worried, as soon as Melina saw the tree, she was in such a state of bliss, that I think she had forgotten about my promise to her.



Christmas tree
Christmas tree


What a good job, that I had listened to my Son.
 Just the few things left for Melina, to put on the tree, took an age.



Melina
Melina


We must find just the best place to hang this!



Trimming the tree
Trimming the tree



Some things, didn't even make it on to the tree, she loved them so much, she wasn't parting with them.

One decoration, that never left her side, all evening was Micky Mouse in a snowstorm.

Melina: you have taste already:
 It's the one and only decoration from Paris.
All things French and all that!



Micky from Paris
Micky from Paris



When the tree was to Melina's satisfaction,
 she checked out other small Christmas details, around the house.




Christmas
Christmas


Ready for Christmas.



Christmas
Christmas




Christmas candles
Christmas candles


She just had to blow out my Christmas candles!



Murano bowls
Murano bowls


Don't these little Murano bowls, look lovely, with tea lights in them?
See how they glow?



Eiffel tower bottle
Eiffel tower bottle



This glass bottle, in the shape of the Eiffel tower, once held cognac, it now holds sea glass, that I collected from Loutraki beach.
I added a star, and, voila:

"Paris à Noël"



Star
Star


Christmas stars.



Star
Star


When everything had been checked and approved of, it was time to play with Grandpa, she just adores him, and, vice versa.



True love!
True love!



Happy family
Happy family



How I love my family, next week, my daughter and her boyfriend, will arrive from Athens.
We shall all celebrate Christmas together, as we do, every year.

Christmas really is a family affair!



Us
Us


To all of you:
Happy Christmas from MGG and myself.
Have the best time.
xxx


6 comments:

  1. Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas Sue, MGG and family. Your house looks so cozy and inviting, really Christmasy.《《《 Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Tina, a very Merry Christmas to you, have a great time! Susan.x

      Delete
  2. SUSAN! Good morning from the upper midwest of the United States! What a happy home and precious little one you have for whom you are creating a wonderland of light and memories! Your home is filled with fire light and glitter and WINE...oh yes, must celebrate! And that food you are sharing, my goodness, I think I could enjoy that!

    Aren't the holidays wonderful? We all have such different backgrounds and customs, but what envelopes us all is love. Wishing you a sublime and memorable holiday, and thank you so much for your kind comment upon visiting. ENJOY! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita, what lovely comments you leave!
      Christmas is a wonderful time, even more so, when young children are involved.I could watch the expressions on my granddaughter's face all day long!
      Yes, love, "what the World needs now" as the song goes.Here's to hoping that 2015 will be peaceful for us all.
      Wishing you and your family the best Christmas.
      Susan.xxx

      Delete
  3. Such a cozy Christmas, surrounded by the warmth of your beautiful family, Susan, all around the fireplace, enjoying the pretty tree, trimmed by a budding little designer, it seems, with a keen eye for tres chic ornaments, brought all the way home from her assistant! Thanks for sharing these wonderful family photos of the comforts and joy of the season!

    Happy Christmas!

    xx
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Poppy, it does look nice, even if I say so myself!
      It's been, more or less, the same Christmas decor, for a few years now.
      I keep thinking that I should do something different, but, why fix something that's not broken?
      Enjoy your Christmas in Crete.
      Susan.xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog, I am always absolutely delighted to hear your thoughts, ideas or suggestions.
They make all my efforts worthwhile,.

Please do check back, after leaving a comment, as I make every effort to answer all your remarks promptly.
Thanks,
Susan.x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...