Waiting for summer

Waiting for summer
Waiting for summer

I am a summer person, a summer baby, born on the first of July, born under the sign of Cancer, the crab, one of the water signs.

Now I am waiting for Summer, the sun, the warm seas and the blue skies.

We seem to be in endless days of cloud, of dullness and of rain.

The last two outings that I have been on, one to Kalamata, well actually, twice to Kalamata, the weather was atrocious: both times.



The road to Kalamata
The road to Kalamata



The only thing to be done, was to find a nice coffee shop, that served nice gooey cakes, and sit it out!

I have put off going to Kalamata again until the summer.

Best not to tempt fate!



Coffee and cakes in Kalamata
Coffee and cakes in Kalamata


The scenery, around Kalamata, in winter:

Some people find this beautiful.

I just find it depressing, very depressing.



Around Kalamata
Around Kalamata



Another very grey day, was a day, we took a ride up the Gerania mountains.

MGG (My Greek God) likes this kind of scenery, I do not.

MGG loves Switzerland, I prefer Italy!

Looking down onto Loutraki.

 A very steel-grey sea.




Korinthian Gulf, seen from Loutraki
Korinthian Gulf, seen from Loutraki



All was not lost though!
We came upon these olive pickers.

They let me have a go!
One nice man, even wanted to lend me some overalls, so as not to get dirty!





Olive picking
Olive picking



Can you tell that I have never picked olives in my life?



Me...Olive picking!
Me...Olive picking!



I took this wonderful picture as well.

It was very cloudy, but, beyond the three trees, is The Gulf Of Korinth.



Looking at The Gulf Of Korinth from St Gerasimos, Loutraki
Looking at The Gulf Of Korinth from St Gerasimos, Loutraki



Yesterday, it rained and rained, again!

This was what it looked like, outside our house, last night.




Outside our house
Outside our house



One positive thing here, I hardly smoked at all yesterday.

I never smoke in the house, I sit and smoke in the garden.

This is what was going on out there, well, I wasn't that desperate for a cigarette!



A very wet garden
A very wet garden




Of course, this does happen in Greece, but usually, only for a couple of days at a time.

We have had over a week of it.

I try, honestly, I do try, to be positive, to be grateful, to find the brighter side of things.

The truth is, I hate winter.

I don't want to go on a skiing holiday, I don't want to go hiking in the picturesque mountains and look at grey lakes.



Looking towards the Cape Of Heraion, Korinthian Gulf.
Looking towards the Cape Of Heraion, Korinthian Gulf.


I want the sun on my face, I want endless days on the beach, I want to live outside!

Just a few more days now, and it will be the twenty first of December, the shortest day of the year.

After that: we are heading for summer!

Today, I took the advice, of all those self-help books: find the positive side, the bright side, the beauty.

I went out into our garden to find beauty.

I found it.



Clover
Clover



Clover, that has rooted itself in pebbles.

I looked and looked, but, try as I might, I couldn't find one with four leaves.

N.B  24 Hrs. later:
My good friend H, who knows, about such stuff, is having a good laugh.
H informs me, this is not clover!
It is a very invasive weed.
I looked it up, it is called oxalis.




Bougainvillea
 Bougainvillea 



Do these vivid pink and purple bougainvillea know that it's winter?

December, and they are still in full bloom.



Bougainvillea
 Bougainvillea 



A miniature rose, still with traces of last night's rain.




Rose
Rose



Trailing Rosemary, giving off the most pungent scent, after the rain.




Rosemary
Rosemary




Oranges, like tiny suns, nestling between the green leaves.




Oranges
Oranges



A ceramic ornament, from the island of Sifnos, given to me, by a friend.

 Reminding me of summer and the evening that she gave it to me, sitting here, in the garden.

Listening to music and drinking  cold white wine.




Ceramic from Sifnos
Ceramic from Sifnos



This beautiful eye, hanging outside the kitchen door, also given to me by a friend.

Protecting our home, and, all of us in it, from the evil eye.




To ward off the evil eye
To ward off the evil eye



The May wreath, that I made this year, with the help of my Granddaughter Melina, hanging above the kitchen door.

Lovely memories of the two of us, together with MGG (My Greek God) collecting the flowers.

Everlasting flowers, they grow just across the road from our house.



May wreath
May wreath



A ceramic cricket.

 A reminder of a  wonderful holiday with MGG, in Aix-en-Provence, France, where, we bought it.



Ceramic cricket
Ceramic cricket



Do I feel any better, after my walk, around the garden?

No, not really, oh, alright, a bit I suppose.

Looking down the road, from our gate, into Loutraki, everything looked very glum.



Road to Loutraki
Road to Loutraki



 Now it is raining again, heavily!

I should be grateful, compared to other countries, a Greek winter is very mild.

I have only ever once, seen snow, in Loutraki, about ten years ago although, Northern Greece, does get very heavy snow.





Ziggy & Amos in the snow
Ziggy & Amos in the snow



The one and only time that our garden has seen snow!

Ziggy and Amos (Boxer) loved it.




Maurice in the snow
Maurice in the snow



Little Maurice was not too sure about it!


So, I shall patiently await the summer.

Make the best of the winter, take a few evening strolls around our little town, Loutraki.

It is looking very festive, even if rather wet!



Xmas Loutraki
Xmas Loutraki


It's very quiet  isn't it?



Xmas Loutraki
Xmas Loutraki



Seems like, I'm not the only one, that the weather is keeping indoors!



Xmas Loutraki
Xmas Loutraki 



I shall keep in mind  this, and other, quotes, from the wonderful book:

"Gift from the sea"


"Gift from the sea"
"Gift from the sea"


“The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. To dig for treasures shows not only impatience and greed, but lack of faith. Patience, patience, patience, is what the sea teaches. Patience and faith. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach—waiting for a gift from the sea.”


This book is splendid.
See parts of it HERE


Patience, Patience, Patience.

Summer will come.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,

    I so enjoy my visits here. Your pictures and prose always have a way of throwing me into their mood, even if I've arrived in a completely different frame of mind, and today is no exception, for it is warm and sunny here as I type, after a very grey, rainy day yesterday, (which I don't mind, as I find such days dramatically romantic!), so, my summer souled friend, I wish I could send a little sunshine your way, in return for more of those dewy jewels from the heavens.

    xx
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Poppy, I do love your comments....so unique, so, Poppy!
    I do see what you mean about grey days being: "Dramatically romantic", you can have too much of it though, and the romance wears off!
    Glad to hear that your weather has sorted itself out,
    we have more of the same today, plus, the temperature seems to have dropped!
    I'm optimistic for the weekend! I shall be trimming our Christmas tree.
    That should cheer me up.
    Have a nice weekend,
    Susan.x


    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog, I am always absolutely delighted to hear your thoughts, ideas or suggestions.
They make all my efforts worthwhile,.

Please do check back, after leaving a comment, as I make every effort to answer all your remarks promptly.
Thanks,
Susan.x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...