Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

If you like it, why not share it? Thanks!

Beach life

 
On the beach
On the beach
 
 
 
 
All summer I wait in anticipation for September, when the best of beach days are to be had, all beach days are wonderful but in September the Athenians leave for Athens, the tourists have mostly gone home, children are back at school and I have the beach to myself.
 
Alone to think my thoughts, drink in it's beauty, to be calm.
 
 
Loutraki beach
Loutraki beach
 
 
It is the eleventh of September and this has yet to happen.
 September has been taken up with other things,  raging thunderstorms, family obligations and a mammoth house clean as housework had been neglected because of the beach!


Housework
Housework
 
 
Yesterday I thought my Indian summer days were about to begin, it got off to a bad start, the sea was very dirty so I just paddled about a bit at the edge and was bitten by a fish.
This had happened at around the same time last year, it must be the season for these small, pointy- nosed fiends, they stab you like a needle, one has even drawn blood!



Needle-nosed fish
Needle-nosed fish
 
 
I retreated to my sun lounger and waited for the friend I was expecting to arrive, time passed but no sign of her.
 I had heard my 'phone dring the dring which means text message but had to ignore it as I didn't have my glasses with me and had no hope of reading it, it dringed again, could it be my friend saying that she wasn't coming?

 What to do? I would have asked some youngster to read my message but the place was deserted.Only one thing for it, go into the bar and ask the waiter, this did give me occasion to put on my sarong whichI have carried with me all summer for emergency trips to the loo which never happened.
 
The waiter very kindly read my messages to me but oh the embarrassment, especially as my 'phone is something pre-war.


The messages were from vodafone, both of them!
 I felt so humiliated that I bought a cup of coffee that I didn't really want.
My friend did arrive but by this time I am far from being in  my usual calm, tranquil beach mode.
Well tomorrow's another day, or so I thought!


Tomorrow's another day
Tomorrow's another day
 
Today dawns, exceptional weather, the perfect beach day, MGG has gone off on some errands, I wait for him to return, he does, an hour late which means me setting off to the beach an hour late!
Not a good start.
I arrive there but why oh why did I have to do my good deed for the day right at that moment, an elderly couple saw me pick up some rubbish and put it in the bin.



Rubbish on the beach
Rubbish on the beach
The gentleman, around the age of eighty I should think, began his rant, people are dirty, the council are useless, the police should patrol the beach and arrest anyone littering the beach.
 
I walked on quickly and spread out my towel, they followed me and sat next to me...the beach was empty!
 
He then proceeded to give me a ten minute anti government lecture on how standards have dropped and on how every thing was better when he was a young whipper snapper.
 
A very grumpy old man, he did redeem himself a bit when I heard him say to his wife how he loved the sea, no matter how tired he was or how many aches and pains he had, went he went into the sea he felt re-born.
 When speaking to his wife he called her ...wife..., he really did!



Grumpy old man
Grumpy old man

My walk home made up for the grumpy old man, I had a look at the pomegranates to see how they were ripening, I have been 'following' them all summer, they're coming along nicely.



Pomegranates
Pomegranates
 
I pass a row of olive and cypress trees on my way, the scene always reminds me of an impressionist painting, Cezanne perhaps?
Today the likeness was even more so, the brilliant blue sky, a few puffy white clouds and the Gerania mountains in the background.



Like a Cezanne painting
Like a Cezanne painting
 
It has been a funny kind of summer at the beach this year or should I say different.
Firstly I changed my location, all last year I had been bothered by a man, through no fault of my own, unless politely saying good morning to him the first time I saw him can be classed as encouragement!
 
In the end things became quite nasty, I should have moved to somewhere else on the beach when it started but my ego was telling me 'I'm not going to be chased away.' Stupid of me.



Harassment
Harassment
 
This year, friends who never usually go the beach realised what they were missing and met up with me occasionally, this meant I had to sit on a sun lounger, under an umbrella....you see they are not professional beach bums!
I just lay my towel on the ground and put on my hat.
 


Me and my hat!
Me and my hat!
 
 
So, not only have I changed location, I am all la-di-da on a sun lounger, drinking a capuccino!
 
 
Then we had the wind, Loutraki is well known for the wind but this summer it seemed a permanent fixture.
One of my personal rules is ( I have a lot ) never visit the beach without going in the sea.
 
I disappear into the pounding waves, the going in was easy, the getting out was the hard part, once I even had to crawl out, like some creature from the deep.
To avoid this happening again my Son showed me how to do it, I mastered it and one day I was even applauded by some tourists who were too scared to go into the sea.
 
Here's a thing, it is very worrying to me that none of my family are ever worried about me in these weather conditions, even when I have been down there for three or four hours!
 
My Greek God does not accompany me to the beach, he only likes to visit secluded beaches, reachable only by boat or motorbike, I must say setting off for a secluded beach by boat is the best!



The lady S
The lady S
 
 
Notice the name of the boat...The Lady S, how many people have a boat named after them?
 


The lady S
The lady S
 
 
What luck, the man that we sold this boat to, well, his wife's name begins with S !
 


Messing about in boats
Messing about in boats
Other times, other boats.
 
 
I was witness to a lovely thing at the end of this summer, friends...the unprofessional beach bums, had lost their dog Teddy about six weeks ago, they live nowhere near the beach.
 One morning as they are lounging in the sun, Teddy strolls by, they see him, he sees them ,everybody freezes and then Teddy lets out the most heart-rending howl, my friend T is crying, Teddy is crying, howling to the high heavens.
 
What a moment, Teddy is home and well, a few kilos thinner but fine. Maybe I should get lost for six weeks!
 



Teddy: lost and then found
Teddy: lost and then found
 
 
Let's see how the rest of September goes!
 
 

If you like it, why not share it ?...Thanks!