Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

If you like it, why not share it ?...Thanks!

Bring me lemons.


Lemon tree very pretty
Lemon tree very pretty
 

The lemon, what a wonderful thing, what a wonderful fruit.
I have a passion for anything lemon-flavoured or lemon-scented, the one think I don't like about the lemon is it's colour, I never wear yellow.



I have already mentioned my love of lemons in a previous post: "A few of my favourite things"
See the above link.

It is such a love that I felt that I had to dedicate a whole post to lemons!
Greece is awash with lemons, acres and acres of lemon groves, nearly every Greek garden has a lemon tree.

My garden doesn't, it nearly had one, I will tell you about that in a minute.



Lemon tree
Lemon tree


The best lemons in the world are the Sorrento lemons of the Amalfi coast, so I am told anyway.

I have never tasted one but I think it would be very hard to better a juicy Greek lemon, picked straight from a tree that has been left to grow naturally, no pesticides, no fertilizers.

I will say this though about the Sorrento lemon, it makes the most irresistible of Italian liqueurs: Limoncello.
Keep it in the freezer (it won't freeze) and serve with lots of ice.



Limoncello
Limoncello


Another lovely refreshing drink for the hot Greek summers is lemonade, homemade with fresh Greek lemons.
 It is so easy a child could make it.
Just squeeze a load of lemons, I put the juice of two in a glass and top up with ice-cold water, a few ice cubes and a sprig of fresh mint...notice, no sugar.

This is a great hit with all my family and friends.




Homemade lemonade
Homemade lemonade


Another thing that my family like is my lemon cheesecake (never any other flavour) and my lemon meringue pie, made from the Delia Smith recipe.

I had made one to eat with my friend who was dropping in for coffee, we ate the lot between us!

My family think that I make all these lemon goodies for us all...I don't...it's  for me really!



lemon meringue pie
lemon meringue pie



Delia's lemon meringue pie recipe. Above link.

The lemon curd that I make really is only for me, no one else in my family likes it...isn't that lucky?

I make it in the microwave oven, so quick and easy...and delicious!



Lemon curd
Lemon curd



Recipe for lemon curd here.


Just for a quick flashback, who doesn't remember sherbet lemons, I used to make the roof of my mouth so sore with these.


Sherbet lemons
Sherbet lemons


I have a pretty collection of plates, bowls etc, decorated with lemons, which I love to use in the summer when we eat outside.
I am always on the look-out for more.



Lemon decorated ceramics.
Lemon decorated ceramics.


Lemons, lemons everywhere! 


Manuel Canovas
 Manuel Canovas


My daughter bought me this Manuel Canovas cushion, showing a large jar of lemons.


And the smell of the lemon, the aroma, the smell it leaves on your hands after squeezing one, the fresh tang of the zest.

Annick Goutal's eau d' hadrien captures the smell of lemon zest beautifully.
Acqua di parma is a more old-fashioned cologne type lemon, very strong and lasting. I wear them both.

For the times when I can not justify paying the price of these, I buy the Greek, cheap & cheerful Myrto lemon cologne in the supermarket.

When I first arrived in Greece, over thirty years ago, all the men used this as aftershave ( MGG still does ) and mother's cooled their babies down with it in the summer...it is the smell of Greece!




Greek Myrto lemon cologne
Greek Myrto lemon cologne


A lemon scent I have come across but never tried is Mary Greenwell's Lemon, if anyone has tried this, please let me know what you think.




Mary Greenwell's Lemon
 Mary Greenwell's Lemon



I even read books and watch films about lemons, my ancient well-read copy of Lawrence Durrell's Bitter Lemons, not about lemons as such but a lovely book about Cyprus.



Lawrence Durrell's "Bitter Lemons"
 Lawrence Durrell's "Bitter Lemons"



The film" The Lemon Tree" this is about lemons and is quite sad.


The film "The Lemon Tree"
The film "The Lemon Tree"



Lemons are useful too, in all sorts of unexpected ways!


See uses above.

You want to know why I don't have a lemon tree in my garden don't you?
I nearly did.

I patiently grew a lemon pip, it was going great guns, when it was large enough I transplanted it from its pot into the garden, where it continued to grow very well.

I looked after it like it was my baby, one day I noticed it had gone, I asked MGG if he knew anything about it's whereabouts.

He looked at me very sheepishly and admitted that he had wrenched it out by it's roots!
Why, why for goodness sake?
He thought it was a weed!
"What did you do with it?" I asked.

He had thrown it over the wall into a field, a field all overgrown with nettles and such, probably snakes were slinking in there, anyway I made him go and find it, which he did.

I planted it again but the poor thing just shriveled up.
 From shock I suppose.

A Lemon

By Pablo Neruda
Out of lemon flowers
loosed
on the moonlight, love’s
lashed and insatiable
essences,
sodden with fragrance,
the lemon tree’s yellow
emerges,
the lemons
move down
from the tree’s planetarium
Delicate merchandise!
The harbors are big with it-
bazaars
for the light and the
barbarous gold.
We open
the halves
of a miracle,
and a clotting of acids
brims
into the starry
divisions:
creation’s
original juices,
irreducible, changeless,
alive:
so the freshness lives on
in a lemon,
in the sweet-smelling house of the rind,
the proportions, arcane and acerb.
Cutting the lemon
the knife
leaves a little cathedral:
alcoves unguessed by the eye
that open acidulous glass
to the light; topazes
riding the droplets,
altars,
aromatic facades.
So, while the hand
holds the cut of the lemon,
half a world
on a trencher,
the gold of the universe
wells
to your touch:
a cup yellow
with miracles,
a breast and a nipple
perfuming the earth;
a flashing made fruitage,
the diminutive fire of a planet.



5 comments:

Thank you so much for reading my blog, I am always absolutely delighted to hear your thoughts, ideas or suggestions.
They make all my efforts worthwhile,.

Please do check back, after leaving a comment, as I make every effort to answer all your remarks promptly.
Thanks,
Susan.x

If you like it, why not share it? Thanks!