Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

If you like it, why not share it? Thanks!

Does it snow in Greece? Yes, it does! Pictures of a different Greece.


MGG (My Greek God) Kalavryta
MGG (My Greek God) Kalavryta


Friends from England often ask me; 

“Does it ever get cold in Greece?

My answer is; 

“Yes, it does!”

Ski resort Kalavryta Greece
Ski resort
Kalavryta
Greece

Snow in Athens Photo Eleni Vardoulakis
Snow in Athens
Photo Eleni Vardoulakis

 The conversation about winter in Greece usually continues something like this;

“Not cold like in England though?”

“Well, yes, cold like in England” I answer.


Epidaurus in winter
Epidaurus in winter

I’m not quite sure if they believe me about winter in Greece.

Here is proof!

Snow on the Acropolis Athens Greece
Snow on the Acropolis
Athens
Greece

This is how cold it gets in Greece, look at the icicles on this tree (Stymphalia, Korinthias).

A burst water pipe caused this.


Stymphalia, Korinthias
 Stymphalia, Korinthias


Loutraki sea front photo volta sto Loutraki
Loutraki sea front
Photo Volta sto Loutraki

For Northern Greece, snow is quite the norm in the winter months.


Sun and snow in Volos Photo Konstantina
Sun and snow in Volos
Photo Konstantina

Florina
Florina

Snow in Grevana
Snow in Grevana

Down here, in the South, the Peloponnese, where we live, except for in the mountainous regions, snow is rather a rare phenomenon.

It does look very pretty, children love it, but it’s just not my scene!


Even the Greek islands don't escape the snow!


Santorini under snow
Santorini under snow

I want the summer, I want the warm sea!

 While walking along Loutraki sea front, I cannot conceive that this is the same sea that, only a few 

months ago, was warm, calm and bathed in sunlight.


Loutraki in winter. Photo Volta sto Loutraki
Loutraki in winter.
Photo Volta sto Loutraki

Is this the same beach, where I spent endless idyllic hours, soaking up the sun, where I 

was lulled to sleep by the gentle lapping of the waves on the shore?

The same waves that now crash and pound the pebbles?


Loutraki beach Photo Volta sto Loutraki
Loutraki beach
Photo Volta sto Loutraki

Just look at this wonderful photo, snow on the Gerania Mountains of Loutraki, taken by my friend Hilary in 2011.


Snow on Gerania Mountains 2011 Loutraki Photo Hilary Anastadiadis
Snow on Gerania Mountains 2011
Loutraki
Photo Hilary Anastadiadis

 “This too shall pass”

But please, please do be quick about it!


Agiaso Lesvos Photo Agaiasoslesvos.blogspot.gr
Agiaso Lesvos
Photo Agaiasoslesvos.blogspot.gr

Meanwhile, my crazy son, Johnny, is out there, fighting with the waves.

 Rather you than me Johnny!


At one with the sea.Loutraki
At one with the sea.Loutraki

“In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.”
Albert Camus

See more Greek winter wonderland here;

If you like it, why not share it ?...Thanks!