19 February 2017

Lemon Drizzle Cake, Lemon Cheese/Curd, Lemon No-Churn Ice Cream; The Only recipes I Need.


Simply lemons
Simply lemons



Anyone who knows me well knows better than to bring me chocolate, unless, of course, it’s Pavlides Greek chocolate; dark chocolate with a zingy, mouthwatering, gooey lemon filling.


Pavlides Dark chocolate, yummy lemon filling
Pavlides
Dark chocolate, yummy lemon filling


For as long as I remember, even as a small child, when everyone else went for chocolate or strawberry, I consistently went for lemon.



Bring me lemons
Bring me lemons


Lemons have such a distinctive taste, acidic, tangy, there’re just so, well, just so lemony!

I can’t say that cooking up a storm in the kitchen is my cup of tea, but  BRING ME LEMONS and I’ll deal with them!

A week never goes by without me making at least one of the only three recipes I need;

Lemon curd/cheese (In Yorkshire we call it lemon cheese, so that’s what I’ll call it), lemon drizzle cake or lemon ice cream.




Lemon tree very pretty I pass this beautiful tree everyday
Lemon tree very pretty
I pass this beautiful tree everyday


I’ve at last managed to convince my little helper, my granddaughter Melina, that you can have too many cup cakes, the only thing she ever wanted to bake, and now, there’s no stopping us, and we’re whipping them up two at a time!


Mel’s lemon drizzle cake


Lemon Drizzle Cake
Lemon Drizzle Cake



Ingredients for 2 cakes

250 g sugar

250 g butter (Room temperature)

250 g self-raising flour

2 tsp baking powder

5 eggs, lightly beaten

Zest of 4 lemons

Juice of 2 lemons

200 g icing sugar


Method


Pre-heat oven 180 degrees C

Line 2 standard loaf tins with grease-proof paper and grease with butter

Beat sugar & butter

Beat in eggs, a little at a time

Fold in flour, and slowly mix in juice of 1 lemon

Mix in lemon zest

Divide mixture between 2 standard loaf tins

Bake in oven 45 minutes-1 hour (Insert a knife to test if done, when knife comes out clean, that’s it…done!)

Remove cakes from oven, leave in tins.



Mel's lemon drizzle cake
Why make only one when you can make two?
My little helper, Mel

Put icing sugar in a bowl and mix with juice of 1 lemon, if not runny enough, add a little water, it needs to be quite thick, but runny enough to pour.

Prick cakes all over with tooth pick,( I use a souvlaki skewer), pour sugar mixture all over surface of cakes while they are still hot.

Some recipes for lemon drizzle cake, state castor sugar, not icing sugar, for the “Drizzle”, I’ve tried this, but much prefer it with icing sugar, I’m not too keen on the crunch you get with castor sugar.

Dare to be decadent, slice the cakes in half, lengthways, and sandwich together with lemon cheese!

You can never have too much lemon!


Lemon Cheese

Ingredients



Lemon cheese ingredients
Lemon cheese ingredients


100g Sugar

100g Butter

Zest of 3 lemons

Juice of 3 lemons

3 eggs


Mix all ingredients in a pan, bring to the boil, stirring continuously, turn down heat to a simmer, keep stirring...important, for about five minutes until mixture thickens.

Pour into jars while still hot, cool and put in fridge.

Alternatively, put all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl, blast on high in microwave for 1 minute, stir mixture well, put in microwave for another minute, stop, and stir again.

Do this about five times, always stirring in between.



Don’t be tempted to skip the mixing in between each minute, and  cook for a continuous 5 minutes, you’ll get great lumps of hardened  egg white.

You’ve guessed how I know this haven’t you?

In fact, in between each minute in the microwave, I give it a good beating with a wire whisk!

I have tried many recipes, this is the best, less sugar, gives the lemon cheese that zesty, tangy taste.



The simple things in life Lemon cheese, bread and butter.
The simple things in life
Lemon cheese, bread and butter.



Delicious with bread and butter, used to sandwich cakes together, stirred into Greek yogurt, or with panna cotta, why not try the PERFECT PANNA COTTA?



Panna cotta with lemon cheese
Panna cotta with lemon cheese


Lemon cheese produces the best lemon ice cream!

This lemon ice cream is so easy, no-churn, so no machine needed!


Homemade no-churn lemon ice cream

Ingredients


500 ml double cream

1 tin (450g) sweetened condensed milk

200g lemon cheese

50 ml limoncello



Substitute double cream for Greek "Crema galaktos" If you want non-dairy, use the "Vegitalcrem"
Substitute double cream for Greek "Krema galaktos"
If you want, use the "Vegetalcrem"



People in Greece have been asking about the double cream, what can be used instead?

Whenever a recipe calls for double, (or single) cream, I use Greek “Krema galaktos”, any brand, always full fat though, never “Lite”


 There is the another one "Vegetalcrem", ….which I know nothing about, 
 I have been told it works better for ice cream..


Method


Whip the double cream until just thick, don’t overdo it, if you make the cream too stiff, it can cause the ice cream to leave a fatty film in your mouth.

Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a separate bowl and slowly fold in the whipped cream.

Add limoncello and mix well.



Limoncello Never lasts long in our house
Limoncello
Never lasts long in our house


Add lemon cheese,  either gently swirl it around, creating a marble effect, or mix in well, giving the ice cream a uniform lemon colour,  it’s up to you.

Put into a container, I use an empty “bought” ice cream container, or a standard loaf tin, and leave in freezer for at least 4 hours.

I have to say, this no-churn ice cream is all very well, but, it does tend to be rather rock hard when it’s been in the freezer for a few days (If it lasts that long!).

Adding alcohol of some sort helps to keep it soft, but it is best eaten after 4-5 hours of making; otherwise, remove from freezer about 15 minutes before you need it.




Homemade no-churn lemon ice cream
Homemade no-churn lemon ice cream



This is not really a recipe, it’s just pure lemon juice and water, but so refreshing on hot Greek summer days…don’t add sugar! 


Homemade Lemonade

1 litre iced water

Juice of 6-8 lemons, depending on how much you love lemons!

A few sprigs of Fresh mint

Plenty of ice

Mix it all together!



Keeping cool in a red hot Greek summer Homemade lemonade
Keeping cool in a red hot Greek summer
Homemade lemonade


This is my lemon life; any more lemon recipes are welcome!





Annick Goutal Eau D'Hadrien
Eau D'Hadrien is a Citrus Aromatic fragrance for women and men, launched in 1981, created by Annick Goutal and Francis Camail. The fragrance features cypress, grapefruit, lemon, Sicilian lemon, citron, mandarin orange, aldehydes and ylang-ylang. This perfume is the winner of award FiFi Award Hall Of Fame 2008.




Now I’m off to drench myself in Annick Goutal’s Eau D'Hadrien, because, I 

don’t only like the tastes of 

lemons, I love the smell of them too!



4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I just can't get enough of lemons Angeliki!
      Susan. x

      Delete
  2. I've added this one to my 'favorites' list as I will use it when back in Greece and surrounded by those magnificent lemons! Thanks much for putting photos of the products in for those of us who still haven't mastered reading product descriptions. (Still don't know how to buy condensed milk!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jackie, it's wonderful isn't it, being surrounded by lemons!
    This spelling is bad, not even "Greeklish" but I tried to write it exactly as you would pronounce it.... zacarouco gala (ζαχαρούχο γάλα)...sweetened condensed milk, try asking for it like that, good luck!
    Susan. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog, I am always absolutely delighted to hear your thoughts, ideas or suggestions.
They make all my efforts worthwhile,.

Please do check back, after leaving a comment, as I make every effort to answer all your remarks promptly.
Thanks,
Susan.x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...